Thursday, July 2, 2009

The 80's



So the death of Michael Jackson prompted me to download a bunch of his music from iTunes. I also downloaded stuff from Janet, and a few music videos. As I watched some of the early videos, feelings of how awesome the 80's were started to bubble to the surface. They seemed like happier times, and some how so much more fun. At least, that's how I remembered it and I think it's reflected in the pop culture that was left in it's wake.

Now it's 2009 and unemployment is on track to reach and push past 10%. And no matter what the numbers say, it does feel pretty bad out there. Everyone has been touched by this recession or knows someone who has. You see, it feels different in a really bad way this time. And what I mean by this time is when I compare it to the 80's. We were in a pretty bad recession then as well. Now, I don't know if it's because I was looking at the 80's from a kids perspective, but it just doesn't seem as doomy and gloomy as it does now.

So take note. It's different this time around. The old adage of buy and hold in the market, invest wisely for retirement... it's wrong. These old investment practices that we held so true are starting to turn into old wives tales. Underwater home values ensure that you're largest asset, your home, isn't anymore. It's your largest liability. And as we endure two wars and increasing domestic and city violence at home, the present just looks even more and more alien to the 80's.

So, for the first time in my life I can honestly say I have no idea where I'm heading. I'm throwing out my old guide books to life without any new guidance to take its place. But somehow I feel like I have to, only because those old adages feel so poisoned now. It's time to write your own guide books.

For all the things I'm not sure about, there is this I'm positive about. The economy is going to get worse this year. We'll be lucky if things level out near the end of 2010. Bunker down, avert risk, and watch each step.

Jesus, the 80's recession was so much more fun. I wish I could go on an Escapade.

No comments: