Friday, July 11, 2008

iPhone 2.0 day

Updating my iPhone to the 2.0 OS now. I have already updated iTunes and peaked around in the App Store. So far so good. There seems to be a good amount of useful software out there. Looks like most of the things people complained about the iPhone have been addressed by third party software makers. Very smart of Apple. Not only do they get 30% of the revenue on any app sold on iTunes... they saved their own development costs by letting the open market fill the gaps. Then they have quality assured those apps before they even allow them onto their marketplace... the only place to get software for the iPhone. I have to say, Steve Jobs is a very savvy business man.

A lot of these applications pretty much turn the iPhone into a real PDA... and potentially with the development of software, the best one on the market. If you have stock in RIM, I'd suggest you sell it now... maybe use the money to buy Apple stock, or oil futures.

UPDATE:
I have a bricked iPhone. Apparently when you update to the new 2.0 Firmware, the phone still needs to contact the authentication servers at Apple through iTunes. Well, those servers are currently flooded and you can't get a connection. So I have a paperweight until I can connect. Hate being without a phone :(

UPDATE:
Success! Have updated the phone to 2.0. But now I can't seem to sync with iTunes to get my stuff back onto the phone. Oh well, minor issue. At least the iPhone is usable again. Will try to get an app on their later if I feel lucky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have friends searching everywhere today for the latest edition of the i-phone. They are all sold out everywhere, I mean seriously has there ever been a better time to be an apple? Not since one hit Newton in the head anyway :)

(='.'=)

Anonymous said...

iTunes is just completely lagged out. On top of the activations they must be doing, those that are ok are probably hitting the app store like crazy. I just spent $9.99 on Super Monkey Ball :)